Friday 23 January 2009

"My Fellow Citizens"

So Due to illness my Blog has fallen silent for a few days. I've also decided all aspects of this blog that where about my social life will no longer be part of the writing, as it is fairly pointless and serves only to deter people. For now on, it shall be a place for me to voice and share my social and political views. I have a lot to say.

The inauguration of the 44th American President, Barack Hussein Obama, the First President of African American decent, took place on Tuesday.

This is a big event, not just for America, but globally. Due to the Financial Crisis worldwide, he will be scrutinised by everyone. In Iraq, and Afghanistan the current Wars demand attention. In Cuba, The Torture Chambers of Guantanamo Bay are crying out for attention. In Palestine the people fearfully wait to see if Obama will continue to support Israeli War Crimes. In Pakistan and Iran the people wait to hear will there be calls to war.

I don’t feel any President has come to office, with so many doubtful broken Souls, looking towards them for hope and peace.

Two million hopeful Americans crowed downtown Washington DC on Tuesday, to witness this Historical event. How I wanted to be among them. When asked, however, where I was when this took place I will say "I was at home, sharing a meal with my family". Not to bad an answer I reckon. His speech had no memorable moments such as "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself", as stated by Franklin D. Roosevelt. However some reporters called it the greatest Political speech they had ever heard. Well here is my review.

Less than Five minutes had elapsed and I heard more of the same we've been hearing for nearly 8 years. "Our nation is at war, against a far reaching network of Violence and Hatred". This is the same language that has created fear, terrorism, war and death, since the Bush Administration conceived the idea to invade Iraq, to finish his fathers work. However shortly after this, through talk of hope and equality my mind seemed to settle. Despite the reference of a Vietnam battle site as a proud American moment, I stayed confident; Confident for America.

However around the half way mark I became unsettled again, as he spoke of "facing down Fascism and communism" in the past. Although he spoke of his intentions to leave Iraq, I did not settle down much, especially upon hearing him say "We will not apologise for our way of life". He went on to discuss how America will not support "inducing terror and slaughtering innocents", and yet to date has still not condemned Israeli action in Gaza, but in fact only today defended it.

Addressing "The Muslim world", was a mistake as he almost seemed to be painting all the Arab and Muslim nations at terrorists. I assume this was not his intention, and that he had probably pent a while trying to work out the words to use here. However he did go on and accuse some of wanting to "sow conflict [and] blame their society’s ills on the west". As a sign of hope, he spoke of unclenching fists and extending hands and seeking "a new way forward, based on mutual respect". He went on to speak of helping the poor nations and suggested they could no longer consume the world’s resources. A pleasant change; he didn't once use the word Terrorist, which has be an overused buzzword, a tool of terrorism, by the Bush Administration.

Within 24 Hours of Office he requested the suspending of Guantanamo Trials, and has ordered it be closed in a year. He has began work on the removal of Troops from Iraq.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel, but its a little better than knowing Bush is running the worlds most powerful seat.

God Bless
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment