Wednesday 5 November 2008

America, Yes You Can

Well, it seems I will be keeping my Political expectations to myself for now on. As with my prediction of the Lisbon Treaty, I was also incorrect about the results for the American Presidential Election.

America Proved Me Wrong.

I really thought they would vote Republican. My faith in America has been restored recently anyway, but I still didn't feel the Population would elect a Black President. I Was Wrong. I woke up this morning to view History. A little of me wishes I was part off that History. I Love being Irish, but today it would appeal to me to be American, for the first time in many years.

JFK made the American population proud to be American. I believe that Obama has done the same thing for Americans today, after popular opinion hasn't been too friendly in recent years. The wars and the failing economy seem to have dampened America's view of itself. However this election has seemingly changed that.

This election has been slated as being "Historic", and I feel it has been, but maybe for different reasons than most. I've never seen an election in any country where, though I don't agree with everything both sides are saying, I do actually like both candidates. If I had to pick any Politician to be my Grandad, it would have been McCain. Both Candidates seemed to be genuinely nice people, which is a rare quality in Politics. The campaigns where not "dirty" to the level Politics usually gets too. The candidates seem to have a genuine respect for each other; Even in McCains closing speech, after accepting defeat, he defended Obama against a booing crowd.

I was backing Obama, purely because I'm slightly more Left Wing, and I feel he was too. I didn't completely agree with Obama however, and on some things I agreed with McCain.

I think the reason for Obama's win was 'cause he seemed to offer a way out of the past Eight years of failed Government. Although McCain was a Maverick, and no one can actually deny that, I feel he was to closely tied to Bush.

I think either candidate would have been good for America; Both Candidates would have brought Welcome Change. However more so with the Obama camp.

However tomorrow America will wake up, and George W. Bush will still be President; Their Husbands, wives, sons and daughters will still be in Iraq and Afghanistan and the Economy will still be close to Recession, and so maybe the celebrations should be held off for just a while, at least until January 20th 2009. Obama has a lot of work to do, and so Does America but today may have proved one thing...

America, Yes You Can

God Bless,
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment