Wednesday 26 November 2008

Whats it all about...

Well its been too weekends since my last Search retreat. If you have ever read this blog before, which I doubt you have, you will know that Search means a great deal to me. I've mentioned it countless times, and frankly its probably one off the biggest parts off my Life.

The past weekend was great. I think the team worked so well together and I definitely know I bonded with some people. Anyway I decided not to write about the weekend until after our first catch up meeting as this is when you get a real sense off how well it went. By this stage all the hype has died down and you have a chance to sit back and reflect on it. I still think it was great. I've known it to happen before where you feel you have bonded but after the weekend you realise that you haven't bonded at all. I honestly don't feel that is the case this time.

More importantly, you judge how well the candidates enjoyed it, as this is the first time they can come along to weekly meeting. On Tuesday night. nearly all the candidate returned. They all seemed as interested as they did as the weekend came to an end. I wasn't expecting the turn out so obviously I was extatic. But in the end whats it all about...

The mission statement says "Search is a group of young people who enable other young people to explore, experience and share their faith in new ways". I feel it allows you to prioritise your life. It allows us to reflect on what is really important, and what we should put first in life. The main focus of this weekend is then God, however nothing is forced on you. I think this is why it works. We allow you to make your own mind up. I know if I had attended a weekend and it had been all bible and preaching, Id have never returned. The gentle approach allows one to accept God in his or her own time. As a friend once told me, even the Great Man of Galilee whispered.

However to me Search has brought so much more than just a realisation and an acceptance of God. I can honestly say any Holidays, Experiences or Events I have been attended have been as a direct result of Search. I'll tell my story now, its most likely of little interest to many, but I just wanna get it out.

Three years ago, on the 05th of November, 2005, My sister dragged me along to this weekend retreat, run by a group of Young people calling them selves Search. I literally didn't wanna go. I didn't want to sit and have the bible forced on me and be told I was wrong for not being "Christian", to their standards. However upon entering the doors I was met by a really friendly group off people, that seemed to genuinely love eachother. I loved the weekend. I realised it wasn't about being Christian to their standards... It was about being Christian, about accepting that God Loves Me; And So I Did. From here I have achieved so much. I met a group off great people, and though I may not keep them in my life forever I will always have great memories. If you read through my blogs, and find the ones about Friends, and days/night out with my friends you'll note I met most off these people through Search. Due to Search I had a friend in Germany I could rely on, to put me up when I needed a place to stay in Germany.

I have always had wonderlust, and my First holiday outside of Ireland came from being part off Search. I visited Medjugorje, in Bosnia Herzegovina. It was at the time one off the Best weeks of my life. I'll never forget how the Sun sparkled off the Diamond waters of the Adriatic Ocean as the bus rumbled along the Coastal Cliffs of Croatia, down into the green valleys of Bosnia. The following year I attended the Redemptrist European Youth Congress in Limerick. I met some amazing people, and I had a great time. This year I went to Lourde as part off the Clonard Youth Team. Again I met amazing people, and had a great time.

Although I never got the chance to visit the developing world, to do charity work, I got involved with Serve through Search. I was accepted to fly to Thailand as a worker. Although this never came to be, I have great memories, such as Flip Flop Friday. More Info here...

Although most off my first gigging band had met before Search I feel it was through the group we cemented our bonds at the time, strong enough to forge a band. Since then sadly the cement has cracked, and the bonds seem to have split. I picked up my Acoustic Guitar, after years of neglection due to Search.

I could go on and on and on... But I doubt you read all this so I'll leave it here

God Bless
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment