Saturday 20 February 2010

"...all that time on the Blanket wasn't wasted"

I know its been a long time since I had a proper post here. Being in my final stretch of university is keeping me on my toes, and sadly away from the political circles. However I have kept on top, still reading and watching as much as I can.

There has been plenty going on; policing and justice talks to name one thing. I will not bring his up in detail, other to say I was really unsatisfied with how it went about, and I am less than convinced, especially since we will be forced to wait longer to see how it plays out; I'll keep an eye open though.

On top of that we have Israel up it their usual tricks. Once again Israel are breaking international laws and once again the world are staying relatively quite, apart from a few Arab nations. Mossad, illegally obtain false passports, they stole the identity of innocent people and they sent a hit squad to kill a man. If an Arab "secret service" were to be involved in this kind of thing the world would near implode with condemnation, threats and most likely sanctions. However Israel obviously will get away with sending out their murder squads.

Anyway that is taking me miles away from my intention of writing here tonight. I felt compelled to write tonight in response to a letter response I read in the Art Issue. I just could not believe what I was reading. Obviously the letter was art related and so only the first paragraph is related and so I will transcribe that paragraph before passing judgement. This is what the "Art Doctor" Orme O'Bakery had to say:

"Dear David. Whoa there tiger. First of all, are you the same David Davidson who's regional operations manager for Sainsbury's in Northern Ireland? If so, well done on the bilingual branch in Andytown, it's nice to know that all that time on the blanket wasn't wasted after all"
- Orme O'Bakery

The letter then goes on to address a topic in relation to art. However I didn't get much further than this because this response completely threw me. I actually found myself rereading this 3 times before moving on. Is this what it has come too? Is this what all those men suffered the cold nights on the blanket in filthy cells for? Is this what 10 men ultimately died for? For a bilingual Sainsburys?

Here is why it baffles me:

  1. The fact that some one can actually say that the time on the Blanket was not wasted, but still use the term "Northern Ireland", without questioning it.
  2. The fact that they believe that having a single bilingual shop, in a land that is still occupied, where Irish men still struggle for freedom, is a success.
  3. The Irish language is still not held in equal standing.
  4. They mention the time on the blanket but fail to mention the price paid by Sands, Hughes, McCreesh, O'Hara, McDonnell, Hurson, Lynch, Doherty, McElwee or Devine.
The 10 aforementioned men gave their lives for political status, to legitimise the Republican cause in the eyes of the world. Their death was a turning point in the history of our Country and a turning point for the peace process of the occupied state. It was their lives that turned many men and women towards the ballot and away from the gun. Whether you believe this is what they died for or not, one can not argue that the Kesh concentration camp has had a huge impact on the direction this occupied state took. The long road to the ceasefires, GFA and ultimately the current Stormont government.

Despite this the Irish people still suffer under the occupier. 110 a day stopped under Section 44, which in itself breaks international law. John Brady hanged in Police Custody. Still no Irish Language act. Still no equality for Gaelic games.

People are more and more accepting the term Northern Ireland, and its use is merely legitimising British Rule. So to recognise the state of Northern Ireland and claim that the time on the blanket was not wasted is laughable at least and insulting at most. It is naive and ignorant.

"Britain Has no Right in Ireland, Never had any right in Ireland and never can have any right in Ireland"

- James Connolly

Until British rule and occupation has been completely and utterly banished from Irish shores then the "time on the blanket" has not ended and the Job is incomplete. We must take up our roles now. If British rule and Northern Ireland are accept and people refuse to oppose it the the time on the blanket was wasted and the lives of the 10 were squandered.

This is the exact attitude that will see the time on the blanket wasted and Irish Republicans must address this attitude now, before it settles and we see all those lives wasted.

I have nothing more to say just now but hopefully I will post again soon.

God Bless and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment