Friday 26 June 2009

King of Pop...


Michael Jackson
1958 - 2009

So standing outside the last session of the Novena, at Clonard Monastery last night, it was late yet still very warm, and news began to spread like wildfire. Michael Jackson passed away at the age of 50.

Being probabley the biggest Music icon since the Beatles it is very hard to get my head around the idea. He was just one of them Characters that you didn't expect to hear that news about for a long time. News spread quiet quickly, claims that he had died of a heart attack or lung cancer etc etc. I do not at this stage know what happened but I hope, as I do for most, that it was peaceful.

Michael Jackson started his professional career in music at the age of eleven as a member of the Jackson 5, and even at this stage was a shining star for music. Despite the rumours and storys and claims against his name, I believe that he should be remembered as the Music legend he was.

However as usual, I didn't really start this post to address the case of Michael Jackson's death, but rather to address the attitudes of the public and the media. Usually I am overcome with disgust at these attitudes... well they haven't failed me this time either.

Within three minutes of recieving a text from my friend that merely said "Michael Jackson Just Died", the jokes started to roll in. The same sick jokes that we hear every time anyone that holds space in the public eye dies, is injured or has a breakdown. Some one predicting, and I fear he predicted rightly, that there will be an incline in the amount of stories of Child Abuse and other such claims. He also predicted that there will be one or two "Billie Jeans" popping up. Now to address this attitude, what kind of world do we live in, when I can honestly fear that happening. When a suggestion like that is put forth, how can it seem like such a reasonable thing to say?? It's sad.

Then there is the media. The Belfast Telegraph is a paper that I seem to have one or two quams with. In short I don't like the paper at all. Today we are met with a frontpage image of Michael Jackson, "shortly before he died" on a hospital stretcher. I see the many images on the news channels of reporters pushing eachother over for their chance to catch the golden photograph of the lifeless body, the men trying to film the ambulance and rush the hospital where he was taken. Its disgusting how the death of someone could be so utterly disrespected that the family are given no chance of alone time, to mourn and come to terms, cause its far more important that the public see these images.

However there are the other scenes. The scenes of utter dismay and heartache over the passing. I must admit, I do not understand. I am a fan of Michael Jackson, but I can't find the myself crying hysterically over him. But I am pleased that some people in our world, can be so unsettled by the passing. I would hope that this was respect for human life and not just love of a musician. Eitherway is acceptable however. I prefer these attitudes than that of the jokers and media.

God Bless
Peace



No comments:

Post a Comment