Saturday 17 May 2008

Flip Flop Friday

Friday the 9th of May this year was Flip Flop Friday, the main Fundraising day for a charity called Serve. I wrote this Blog that night and never got round to posting it. So here it is.

Lifes Best experiences are often the unexpected. This was one. On wednesday 7th I got a phonecall asking me to travel to Dublin the next evening for Flip Flop Friday. Out of Character for myself, I accepted without even considering if I had any other commitments.

Thursday Night came and Chris
O’ Donoghue and Martin Schneider picked me up and we had to make a stop at St Clements Retreat House. Having not been there since it was closed to the Public, I welcomed the invite, and went inside for a bit of a reflection.


I Miss It.

From there we travelled to Clonard Monsatry. We sold Flip Flop Pins outside the final Mass of the evening, then made our final arrangements before setting out. We made a 15 minute stop for food, and then headed on our way to Dublin. We only really got on the road at about half 10.

Most of our journey was silent due to tiredness. The only real sign of other travellers were the couple of red lights tinkering on further in the darkness, or the occasional golden glow of firey headlights coming over the Horison and disappearing past, as tired travellers made their late night journey. At about 12:06 Father Gerry decided he couldn't safely continue and stopped for a rest. So Chris took me and Martin on in his car, while Father Gerrys Bus disappeared behind us.

Three Hours, 2 Vehicles and One long journey later we arrived in the Cherry Orchard area of Dublin, just after half 1. We had a short chat and then retired to bed, anticipating the hard day ahead...

6:30 AM Friday Morning, 9th of May - Flip FLop Friday. We got up and got cleanedand headed straight out, round to Eoins House; who eagerly awaited us with Flip Flop pins and Flip Flop Costumes, for want of a better word. We were assigned Luas Stations and off we went. I boarded at Dumdrum and made my way to Stallorgan. Here me and Freddy dorned Flip flop costumes, and tried to sell our Flip Flop pins. After a miserable 10 minutes Luas Officers informed us that our Garda permission didn't extend to Luas property, and the people that owned the Luas didn't want us on their property. How's that for "public" transport.

We made our way into Dublin City Centre. Myself, Freddy and Martin had a quick breakfast and went straight to work out side Stephens Green Shopping Centre. Unfortunately so did "Guide Dogs for the Blind", "Denim Day" and the Labour party (Who on a off note were shamefully suggesting that people vote Yes to the Lisbon treaty, which promotes the decline of Irish Culture). After doing this for a while more people turned up to help out. Two off us took our guitars and took the street. Eventually Martin joined in on the idea, and then another person, whose name I have apologetically forgotten. At about half 6pm we packed up and counted out the money roughly. Myself and Martin went to have a meal at McDonalds. (Again on an off note I am choosing to no longer eat there as they are the official sponsers of the Bejing Olympics, Which I believe we should Boycott... but thats for another blog).

I left Martin outside McDonalds as he was going to Cork, and I was going to Belfast. I made my way to Connolly Station with a happy heart and a smile. A strange almost sad feeling came over me as I left the million cranes that is Dublins Skyline behind. I feel at home here... or at least Free.

God Bless
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment